When someone enters an email address, how do we check to make sure it’s legit? Not legit as in “is it really their email address”, but as in “does it follow the rules to make it a real email address”?
For example, if someone enters “jdshfjsdhf”, that’s not legit. However, “firstname.lastname@example.org” is. Recently, I ran into a problem where my scheme for validating email addresses was failing me. Read more
Recently, a co-worker ran into a problem I had run into many times in the past. After taking a few minutes to figure things out I was able to help him. It surprised me that I hadn’t blogged about this before. So here we go…
Does this look familiar to you?
The type or namespace 'SomeNamespace' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
I bet you’ve probably seen it before. It happens when you forget to include a reference in your project or if you don’t use a ‘using’ directive to include the assembly. Read more
Recently, I’ve been working on a project that relies on a backend business object layer. The business object (BO) layer, requires authentication in order to be used. For most of the systems, this is okay, but my project is to be used by end users. We don’t need to authenticate the users… we need to authenticate the system.
This is easy enough using the CustomPrincipal object in Rocky Lhotka’s CSLA framework (which is also being used). We simply create the CustomPrincipal and add that to the ApplicationContext. Read more
We’re approaching delivery of the baby! In the next few months, we’ll be releasing our product. This is great news as it’s been a long time coming. As is the norm, we’ve been developing our product in Debug mode. While in Debug mode, Visual Studio will generate extra files to allow stepping through the code. This is a great thing for creating the initial code, but it’s not necessary for code that’s deployed to the world at large.
When I switched Visual Studio over from Debug mode to Release mode, I got a weird error. Read more
Wow… just… wow. This took a long time to figure out. I was trying to create and use a custom UIButton in an iOS project. Everytime I tried it, the app would open and immediately close. Typical crash behavior.
As is the norm, I opened the console. This is my first step in trying to figure out what the heck is going on.
Doggone it… I have a system setup at home whereby certain tasks are supposed to execute daily during the week. For some reason, my processes will run perfectly for weeks on end and then get really freaky on me.
It’s very strange. I’ll have to check it out.
It reminds me of my time in Customer Support at IBM. People would call up for assistance and then be unable to reproduce the problem with me on the phone.