All I can say is WOW.
Wow… I just removed log4net from my project. What a performance hog log4net is!
Let’s be clear… I had simply disabled log4net by turning the responders “OFF”. I never modified the code to check to see if debugging was enabled or anything like that. Just turning it “OFF” didn’t really help anything. I kept finding errors in the log that it was unable to get access to the log file like it wanted.
By commenting everything out, my performance jumped! I suppose at some point I’ll go back and add the logic to only log things if it’s turned on. Right now, I don’t need the logging so I’ll leave it disabled.